[SciPy-user] Hints for easy install of scipy on RHEL 4?

Paul Barrett pebarrett@gmail....
Sat Feb 10 06:42:03 CST 2007

On 2/9/07, Russell E. Owen <rowen@cesmail.net> wrote:
> In article
> <40e64fa20702071156s20437821m3a2336b3a3a2719c@mail.gmail.com>,
>  "Paul Barrett" <pebarrett@gmail.com> wrote:

> scipy-friendly blas/lapack for RHEL 4, because the one that comes with
> RHEL 4 is not)
>
> > Is RHEL 4 necessary?  I had the same problems building scipy, so I
> > decided to save myself some grief.  I installed FC 6 instead, while I
> > wait for RHEL 5. If you have to have RHEL as opposed to FC, then I
> > suggest you upgrade to RHEL 5beta2, which is based on FC 6/7.
>
> That is very interesting. So if we can hold off for RHEL 5 then the
> problem magically goes away? I'll see if we can do that.
>
> (This is for a large department's worth of linux boxes. I don't manage
> them, but do have permission to install software in a space for shared
> software. Thus I typically can't install RPMs and can only advise when
> it comes to OS versions.)

Yes, we are in the same situation. We are beginning to investigate
RHEL 5b2 now, which is available for download. RHEL 5 final was
suppose to be available at the beginning of the year, but they are
apparently putting some final touches on the smartcard and
virtualization software, which many enterprises need.  Given how
stable FC 6 has been, I sure RHEL 5b2 is fine if you do not need these
features.

 -- Paul