[SciPy-user] More elegant solution for binning lookup?

Stefan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Sun Feb 18 17:21:13 CST 2007

Hi Tom

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 05:22:08PM -0500, Tom Bridgman wrote:
> I've got an array of samples through a region and a value 'R' where I
> want to find the proper bin in 'radius'.  'R' will generally not
> match any value in 'radius'.

Would digitize do the job?

    digitize(x,bins)

    Return the index of the bin to which each value of x belongs.

    Each index i returned is such that bins[i-1] <= x < bins[i] if
    bins is monotonically increasing, or bins [i-1] > x >= bins[i] if
    bins is monotonically decreasing.

    Beyond the bounds of the bins 0 or len(bins) is returned as appropriate.

Cheers
Stéfan