[SciPy-user] Need Advice With Arrays and Calculating Eigenvectors

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys....
Tue Feb 27 07:52:48 CST 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Johannes Loehnert wrote:

> No. data is a dict containing the three main keys (eco, nat, soc). Each
> maps to a dict containing the subkeys (con, neu, pro). Each of those maps
> to a list of data. E.g. for
>
> item = [('eco', 'con', 1, 2, 3), ('eco', 'con', 4,5,6), ('eco', 'neu', 7,8,9),
>            ('nat', 'neu', 10,11,12)]
>
> the result would be
>
> data == {'eco': {'con': [(1,2,3), (4,5,6)],
>                         'neu': [(7,8,9)]},
>              'nat': {'neu': [(10,11,12)]}}.
>
> So with data['eco']['con'] you get back [(1,2,3), (4,5,6)].

   A-ha! Now I see it. Thanks very much, Johannes.

> So you get only one data row for each category/subcategory combination? Or
> can there be multiple?

   Multiple rows for each category/subcategory.

>>    First, I need to average the 28 items in each of those 9 sets.
>>    Second, I need to average the three average values for each of the 28
>> items within the main sets of eco, nat, and soc.
>
> what do you mean by item? A float number?

   Yes. The floats are avereaged by subcategory, then the subcategories are
averaged by category.

> Well, it ought to do exactly what your code did. averages['eco'] == barEco
> IIANM.

   I see now how to write the code so it works. I mis-understood the first
message. Again, thank you very much.

Rich