[SciPy-user] Any Books on SciPy?

Wed Feb 28 01:29:32 CST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:19:51PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/fperez/tmp/py4science.pdf

Nice ! Really nice ! I am very happy that someone is writing something
about all this in a consistent way.

I have two questions: what will be the distribution mode (printed matter,
internet and free, both) ? This is important because an easily and freely
available book really helps spreading the word. Second question: what
will be the licence ? The reason I ask this is that I could consider
trying to contribute if I can reuse the part I contribute.

As you are probably aware (I think you follow the enthought-dev ML)
Prabhu and I are currently trying to find time to code a nice "mlab"
interface to mayavi2. Once it has made some progress (expect two to three
months) it will be much nicer than the current way of using mayavi from
python. Of course there is the problem that mayavi2 is not properly
distributed currently. That might change as enthought is currently
pushing for a modular eggs-based version of their tool suite.

Anyway if we can get something out of mayavi's mlab, I could write
document how to use it and contribute a modified version of it to your
book.

Similarly you could use a modified version of my traitsUI tutorial
http://www.gael-varoquaux.info/computers/traits_tutorial/index.html if
you think this is not out of scope.

Thumbs up for such work !

Gaël