[SciPy-user] Do I have LAPACK or not?

Gary Pajer gary.pajer@gmail....
Wed Feb 28 06:11:36 CST 2007

On 2/27/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Gary Pajer wrote:
>
> > When I compile I get the output  below.  Has LAPACK been found or not?
> > I'm guessing yes, but I have some doubt ...
>
> Gary,
>
>    What is the result of 'locate LAPACK?' On my system it returns
> /usr/local/scipy/LAPACK/ and all the subdirectories and files therein.
>
> Rich

I get
/svn/scipy/trunk/Lib/sandbox/arpack/ARPACK/LAPACK

but locate lapack gets

/usr/lib/sse2/liblapack_atlas.so.3.0
/usr/lib/sse2/liblapack_atlas.so.3
/usr/lib/sse2/liblapack_atlas.a
/usr/lib/sse2/liblapack_atlas.so

and

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/lib/lapack

and

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/flapack.so
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/clapack.so

and

/usr/lib/atlas/sse2/liblapack.so.3.0
/usr/lib/atlas/sse2/liblapack.so.3
/usr/lib/atlas/sse2/liblapack.a
/usr/lib/atlas/sse2/liblapack.s

and

/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3.0
/usr/lib/liblapack-3.so
/usr/lib/liblapack-3.a
/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3
/usr/lib/liblapack.a
/usr/lib/liblapack.so

similar for atlas and blas

I did not build ATLAS myself, I apt-got it.  (Kubuntu 6.10, Edgy)
(python 2.4.4, both numpy and scipy from recent SVNs)

(I never did understand the difference between ATLAS, LAPACK, and BLAS
and whether or not (and what) I should build, and why the standard
builds of one of the above is said to be incomplete.  I just cross my
fingers and hit return.)