[SciPy-user] Any Books on SciPy?

Wed Feb 28 08:08:31 CST 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 01:22:34AM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> > As you are probably aware (I think you follow the enthought-dev ML)
> > Prabhu and I are currently trying to find time to code a nice "mlab"
> > interface to mayavi2. Once it has made some progress (expect two to three
> > months) it will be much nicer than the current way of using mayavi from
> > python. Of course there is the problem that mayavi2 is not properly
> > distributed currently. That might change as enthought is currently
> > pushing for a modular eggs-based version of their tool suite.

> I know, I've been quietly following that discussion with the utmost
> interest.  I'm hoping it will be ready by Saturday, b/c I'm having a
> mini-sprint at my house with some students to port some old CFD code
> to the new mayavi.  So you have 3 days to finish it :)

Well well. Currently the API is not stable at all, and I do not want to
freeze it (cf my last about this on the enthougt-dev ML). I can let this
project steel even more sleep from me than my work already does, and move
a bit forward to try and establish something that is closer to the API
that I am aiming to, but even if I a manage to get something out (and when I
am to tired I am not terribly productive), I need Prabhu to review it.

All I can say is that mayavi.tools.mlab is not currently in its final
form and I do not suggest using it, unless you are planning to modify the
code you are writing. From the user point of view following the API
change should not be a huge amount of work.

The changes I would like do to the API are exposed in the mails:
https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2007-February/004425.html
[[Enthought-dev] Mlab API, and usability]
and
https://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2007-February/004442.html
[Enthought-dev] Mlab: contour3d and quiver3d.

I am interested on feedback on these propositions, by the way.

Gaël