[SciPy-user] Any Books on SciPy?

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000@yahoo....
Wed Feb 28 09:26:10 CST 2007

While I agree with some of the criticisms of the
Langtangen book I do think it covers some topics that
are really hard to find elsewhere.  He does go into
depth and cover a lot of writing C/C++ extensions.
Overall the book has a lot of information.  Thumbs
down on parts that rely on his own code, especially
the Perl stuff, but Thumbs Up on parts that show you
details you have a hard time finding elsewhere.

The biggest problem with the book is one that ALL
printed documents face with Python (and probably other
open source projects):  staying current.  Things
change fast and books go out of date fast.  Web
sources and discussion list like this one are
essential.

The way I see it as a user of scientific python
packages the biggest barriers to new users and even
veterans are:

* Getting documention, examples and tutorials for
various package.  Can vary greatly depending on each
package.

* Figuring out how to install packages (an on-going
battle for all)

* Figuring out package dependencies (e.g. do I need
wxPython with matplotlib?)

* Figuring out which versions of each package are
compatible with other packages' versions.

I bet I'm not the only one who gets nervous when
he/she has to update a package.

--- Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/27/07, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/27/07, Robert Love <rblove@airmail.net>
> wrote:
> > > Are there any good, up to date books that people
> recommend for
> > > numerical work with Python?
> > >
> > > I see the book
> > >
> > >     Python Scripting for Computational Science
> > >     Hans Petter Langtangen
> > >
> > > Does anyone have opinions on this?  Is it
> current?  Are there better

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.
Three laws of thermodynamics:
  First law: "You can't win."