[SciPy-user] Any Books on SciPy?

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Wed Feb 28 11:10:47 CST 2007

On 2/28/07, Rob Hetland <hetland@tamu.edu> wrote:

> I would help write part of a book.  I'm sure others would, too.  But
> none of us have the time to write a whole book ourselves.

> Who could coordinate such an effort?

> What format would be used (LaTeX, etc.)?

> How would consistency be maintained across sections?

> I think these are not insurmountable obstacles, and a free, printable
> PDF howto manual (as opposed to a reference book like the NumPy book)

When Fernando and I first started the project, we wanted to keep this
with as few authors as possible simply because most team written books
aren't that good, and are not well integrated.  Maintenance also
becomes difficult since open source is a rapidly moving target (as
Fernando noted several of our chapters are already out of date) and
the more authors you have the more difficult it becomes to herd the
cats. So we decided to try and tackle it alone.  Unfortunately, both
of us are too involved with our other commitments to put the work in
that is necessary, and speaking for myself, I would be happy to
revisit the idea of a collaborative project.  We would need a couple
of people to step up as editors who commit a fair amount of time to
insuring style, cross referencing, proper topics, etc...  We could
then solicit chapters on all the relevant major packages, either from
the authors of the packages or from heavy users.  We would need a few
introductory chapters which emphasize integrated usage, followed by
package specific chapters emphasizing deeper features.  At this point,
I can probably only commit to an mpl chapter and maybe some work on
some integration.  I would be happy to do this under an open document
license, while still striving for  hardcopy printing.

The src for the document Fernando posted lives in matplotlib svn as a
collection of lyx chapters (egad the last commit was 20 months ago)

http://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/matplotlib/trunk/course/

I will defer to Fernando's wishes on this, but I am happy to try and
move the ball forward by bringing in any one offering to do some work.

Perry's tutorial is very nice and covers a lot of ground, often in
more detail than what Fernando and I have done, and might be a better
starting point, depending on his interests.  Or some variant of his
tutorial might serve well for the introductory chapters, followed by
the package specific stuff.

JDH