[SciPy-user] Any Books on SciPy?

Perry Greenfield perry@stsci....
Wed Feb 28 12:30:15 CST 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 12:10 PM, John Hunter wrote:

> Perry's tutorial is very nice and covers a lot of ground, often in
> more detail than what Fernando and I have done, and might be a better
> starting point, depending on his interests.  Or some variant of his
> tutorial might serve well for the introductory chapters, followed by
> the package specific stuff.

I see it as suitable for a certain class of new users (i.e, those
that are more task oriented and looking to see what they can
accomplish interactively without having to learn a lot of preliminary
material. But it certainly isn't suitable for all.

I was talking to Travis about the need for some sort of lightweight
intro to numpy. His book is a great technical reference, and very
suitable for developers. But I worry that it is a bit intimidating
for new users. So I raised the possibility of writing some sort of
introduction that did the basics but pointed to the book for details
for more advanced topics. Travis was ok with that (I didn't want to
instigate anything that would cut into book sales). I was thinking of
perhaps taking the old Numeric/numarray user guides and stripping
them down and modifying that base document after I finish with the
interactive tutorial (if I have time of course). With having to
switch our staff over to numpy (we've pretty much completed
converting most of our distributed software; our next release in
early summer will be numpy-based) I think we need something that
isn't too long to read. If others want to take this on, I welcome it
(and as I said, I don't think Travis objects based on what he told me).

Perry