[SciPy-user] NumPy in Teaching

David Warde-Farley david.warde.farley@utoronto...
Wed Feb 28 17:00:58 CST 2007

On 28-Feb-07, at 5:31 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Students were given the option to use Python or MATLAB.  Most chose
> MATLAB because it was installed on the computers they had access
> to.  It
> is also the language used when other teachers teach the course.
>
> NumPy/SciPy was a complete replacement for MATLAB however.  I did
> all of
> the labs using NumPy/SciPy and they worked fine.

Travis,

Can I ask how you (or anyone else) deals with saving a "workspace"
when doing interactive numerical work in Python? I'd imagine this
might be important in an educational setting, and I'm remiss to still
be without an equivalent to Matlab's "save" (I understand the
difficulty in serializing a Python namespace though).

So what do people do? Aside from being somewhat clumsy, even cPickle
seems intolerably slow at saving large matrices to disk.

David

P.S. Many thanks for all the work you've done making NumPy and SciPy
usable. I'm currently working on porting a good bit of numerical code
to Python and your documentation has been invaluable. By the way, was
it you who gave the presentation at the NIPS workshops? (My
supervisor came away quite impressed)