[SciPy-user] additional superpak problems

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 10:36:08 CST 2007

Hi Lou,

On 1/1/07, Lou Pecora <lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I use matplotlib.  No real problems there.  Just have
> to remember to set it to interactive for certain
> things.  I think you need to set mpl to use
> TkAgg for interactive.  TKAgg can be invoked in the
> interpreter by just importing matplotlib and executing
> matplotlib.use("TKAgg").  I think if you use the wx
> backend you have to have mpl synchronized with
> wxPython.  Note: WXAgg does *not* work with
> interactive.  I can't recall the problem exactly.
> Otherwise I have mpl running fine.

I think Belinda's question was regarding the fact that with ipython,
if you start it as

ipython -pylab

it automatically synchronizes with mpl for interactive use, with all
(well, except FLTK)  the GUI backends.  IPython has custom threading
support to allow GTK, WX or QT3/4 to correctly work without blocking
the input terminal.  If I understand correctly, getting the GUI bits
to work under OSX has been giving Belinda some grief, unfortunately.

Cheers,