[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Jan 10 09:40:22 CST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 07:43:28AM -0700, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Outputs:  named, list, of, outputs
>    named   -- explanation
>    list    -- more detail
>    of      -- blah, blah.
>    outputs -- even more blah

Why list the outputs when they follow in the list?

> Authors:
>    name (date):  notes about what was done
>    name (date):  major documentation updates can be included here
>    also.

I don't much like the idea of author info in the docstring.  We have
an SVN log and a credits file.  This doesn't enhance the reader's
understanding of the function usage.

Thanks for pushing this -- it would be good to have a standardised
format for documentation.

Cheers
Stéfan