[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 16:42:18 CST 2007

> Any reason ipython can't use epydoc or some other tool to format the
> markup in ascii (I forget if epydoc does ascii output) so that the
> user doesn't see the 'line noise' when using the ipython
> introspection features?

This would be really nice and address the line noise issue - at least
within ipython.  I'm sure it could be done as epydoc just uses
docutils to parse the docstrings.  I don't know much about the
docutils internals, but I am assuming you could access the document
tree of the doc string and then print things however you want.  This
would be rather cool and could be done dynamically on the fly.

Thoughts Fernando?

Brian