[SciPy-user] Can SciPy compute ln(640320**3 + 744)/163**.5 to 30 places?

Dick Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 15:00:49 CST 2007

On 1/13/07, A. M. Archibald <peridot.faceted at gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like what you want is arbitrary-precision arithmetic, which
> is not what scipy is for (see instead packages like clnum or dmath).

OK, I tracked down clnum and installed it in Python 2.5. But it
doesn't look as if I can use it for logarithms or non-integer
exponents. Or can I? The only manual I could find is
<http://calcrpnpy.sourceforge.net/clnumManual.html>. I was able to
execute all the examples and got the same results, but...

And dmath. From a blog entry by one of the developers
(<http://tinyurl.com/vfgz4>) dmath seems the most promising for what I
want to do, but the download for python 2.5, from
<http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/dmath> is dmath-0.9-py2.5.egg
(md5), a "Python Egg". I've never seen that extension before, and
doubt I can use dmath on Windows. Is that correct? If I can, how do I
install it?

Thanks,

Dick Moores