[SciPy-user] Can SciPy compute ln(640320**3 + 744)/163**.5 to 30 places?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 15:26:00 CST 2007

On 1/13/07, Dick Moores <rdmoores at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/13/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > SAGE, which is python-based, offers the python MPFR wrappers as a
> > builtin, where this computation is trivial.  I've left a computation
> > here:
> >
> > http://sage.math.washington.edu:8100/fperez
>
> Thank you! I see what it can do.
>
> > Feel free to open a new worksheet there to experiment, just name it
> > uniquely and start playing (the SAGE notebook server is free and open
> > to the public).
> >
> > MPFR is LGPL, so it unfortunately can't be included as a scipy
> > component.  But if LGPL is OK for your work, it's an excellent
> > library.
>
> Are you saying that I should be able to hook up SAGE with Python,
> using the "the python MPFR wrappers"? That would be terrific. But can
> I use it with Python on Windows? It seems to be for UNIX/LInux. No?

No, SAGE /is/ a python program.  But it's a standalone program that
includes its own private copy of python, pyrex (forked), mpfr, and
lots and lots more (it includes copies of ipython, numpy, scipy,
matplotlib and just about anything you can think of).  It's a free
download and they provide windows binaries,  I'm pretty sure.  Go to
their downloads page for more details (I don't really know anything
about Windows, so I can't help you there).

As far as ripping out their mpfr wrappers for standalone use with a
regular python install, I'm sure it's doable but I haven't done so
myself.

Cheers,