[SciPy-user] scipy installation problems for a newbie

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 00:29:18 CST 2007

Jonathan Kane wrote:
> Hi.  I am a newbie trying to install both numpy and scipy.  Numpy seems
> to have installed fine, but scipy gives me errors when I try certain
> operations.  Can anyone help?
>
> I am using an Intel Mac Mini with OS X 10.4.8.  I downloaded and
> installed the binaries for ActivePython.  Here is the readout when I
> start python

Which numpy and scipy binaries did you install and where did you get them?
Whoever built them used gfortran to compile them. Consequently, they got linked
to the gfortran runtime libraries. You will need to download and install the
gfortran compiler available from here:

  http://hpc.sourceforge.net

Specifically, download the file gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz . Read the paragraph
above the download link for information on how to install it.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco