[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 21:02:50 CST 2007

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Another issue, which I don't think has been addressed in the present
> discussion: What do we do with optional outputs? (e.g. the retall
> argument to scipy.optimize.fmin() ?)

:Parameters:
  func : callable
  retall : bool, optional
    If True, then return all of the optional outputs as well as the minimizing
    input.

:Returns:
  xopt : array
    The minimizing input of the function.
  fopt : scalar, optional
    The value of the function at the minimizing input.
  iter : int, optional
    The number of iterations.
  funcalls : int, optional
    The number of function calls.
  warnflag : int, optional
    1: Maximum number of function of evaluations reached.
    2: Maximum number of iterations reached.
  allvecs : list or arrays, optional
    List of attempted minimizing input at each iteration.

--
Robert Kern