[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Jan 18 12:43:24 CST 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Travis Oliphant apparently wrote:
> Probably something like :OtherParameters: or something
> like that.  I prefer white-space as in  :Other Parameters:
> if it can be made to work.

While Ed suggested that he can make this work, it would be
a deviation from standard reST.  Each time there is such
a deviation, it makes it harder for other reST based
processors (besides Epydoc) to process the docs.
So perhaps :OtherParameters: or :Parameters2: would be better.

> 1) :lm:`foo` for :latex-math:`foo`
> 2) :m:`foo` for :math:`foo`

I must have missed a post: what is the distinction being
drawn here?  I do not know what :math: is unless it is
:latex-math:.  I can imagine also having, say, :lout-math:
but I do not recall this being discussed.

> It would be best to have an :Returns: consolidated field
> that looks very-much like the :Parameters: section.

Absolutely!

Cheers,
Alan Isaac