[SciPy-user] Re-releasing Python Equations under a new license?

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Jan 19 11:34:21 CST 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, John Hunter apparently wrote:
> LGPL can hinder code reuse.

This is a key point: the restriction on incorporating
portions of a library.  The other points about legal
uncertainty and changing rules of the game may or may not
prove to be well founded, but of course our inability to
tell is for now exactly the point.

My exposure to Python has really reshaped my views of the
GPL, although I still think it can occasionally be
appropriate.  I am inclined to think that avoidance of the
GPL has been important for the spread of Python and for
quite a few of the best Python apps.  Ruby tries to split
the difference with a fairly complex licensing arrangement:
GPL or ... or ...  It will be interesting to see how that
affects its spread beyond academe in the LR.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac