[SciPy-user] Re-releasing Python Equations under a new license?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 19 12:12:21 CST 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Gabriel Gellner wrote:

> for small companies (or individuals), in this sense the BSD to me seems
> unambiguously superior.

Gabriel, et al.:

   Here's something for you to consider:

         <http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070114093427179>

   As the Groklaw post introduces the subject,

"BSD - The Dark Horse of Open Source, by Brendan Scott, OS Law
Sunday, January 14 2007 @ 02:34 PM EST

"Brendan Scott has been studying the BSD license, particularly in the context
of Australian law, and he has come up with some startling questions. Is the
BSD license as permissive as we've thought? The paper is principally for
lawyers to consider, but it's certainly of interest to everyone, and note
his disclaimer:

     " 'Nothing in this paper is legal advice or a statement of the law. This
paper is an exposition of an (untested) argument as to the effect of the BSD
license.'

"Scott will be speaking at the Gaming Miniconf at LCA2007 in Australia on
Tuesday at 11:15 if anyone wants to discuss the paper afterwards. The paper
is also available in PDF format."

Rich