[SciPy-user] SciPy Data Analysis Workbench

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Jan 20 13:18:53 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 07:02:13PM -0500, val wrote:
> My first impression of traits was its help in its structured
> description and manipulation of physical properties of real-world
> objects, a very important (and missing in Python?) component of
> physics-related programming.
>    How you would see/elaborate on that side of traits?

Hi Val,

Sorry for taking so long to answer, this week has been hectic.

I most definitely agree. Manipuling objects that the programmer can
identify has real objects, and build graphical representations, is great
as it helps him building a mental representation of his code. It is
actually a great way to introduce object oriented programming to
physicists.

Traits is nice for describing physical objects as one can use custom
validators to constrain the attributes of the objects to meaningful
values (say for instance that an electrical power must be positive).

Another nice thing is that with the "_traits_changed" hook, you can have
objects that update their properties when some of their attributes are
changed.

I must say I think that traitsUI is _the_ solution for physics-related
GUI programming, unless you have to use C for performance reason. And
even if I had to use C for performance, and a lot of time in front of me,
I would try to use a mixed language solution.

Gaël