[SciPy-user] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 21:40:21 CST 2007

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> Finally, a question about Robert's core question: how many
> people will be able to read the Unicode math characters as
> they examine the docs while working at an interpreter prompt?

Pretty much everyone except Windows users have UTF-8 capable terminals more or
less by default. But yes, this is why I'm on the threeway fence, here, whether
to encourage, discourage, or simply not make any proclamation.

> I am not trying to advocate for or against the use of
> Unicode math symbols.  I must say, however, that I doubt
> I will soon be able to get most Unicode math symbols into my
> docs as fast as I can type their LaTeX representations.

True, but I type once and read the plaintext many, many times. The occasional β
or ∫ would be nice, sometimes.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."