[SciPy-user] scipy installation problems for a newbie

Jonathan Kane seismic73 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 11:20:52 CST 2007

Thanks for you help so far.  A few more questions before I re-install:

1)  What happens if I just install the correct gfortran-intel-bin.tar over the incorrect one without removing the files manually?  Will that mess things up?

2)  I looked at some of the files listed by the tar ztf /path/to/gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz command, and it seems they were installed a long time ago:

seismic73$ ls -al /usr/local/include/gmp.h
-rw-r--r--   1 seismic7  staff  80824 Oct  8 13:15 /usr/local/include/gmp.h

I thought that when it installed the file, the time stamp would be for the day of installation (which was Jan. 17).  That makes me afraid to erase it because maybe its not the one I just installed.........

Is it safe to erase every file listed by tar ztf /path/to/gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz???

3)  If I want to build Numpy and Scipy using the compilers I have, how do I uninstall the current version first?

Sorry to bother with all these questions.... obviously I am a very new newbie.....

Jon

Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote: Jonathan Kane wrote:
> It can't seem to find the file /usr/local/lib/libgfortran.1.dylib
> (there are files called  libgfortran.2.0.0.dylib , libgfortran.2.dylib,
> libgfortran.a, libgfortran.dylib, libgfortran.la, however......)

Ah. Looks like the gfortran binaries were upgraded to a newer version after
Chris built the Superpack. That's ... unfortunate. I hereby curse all people who
release tarballs without version information.

Well, you have a couple of options. You can uninstall the compilers that you got
from the hpc.sf.net page pretty cleanly. You can get a list of the files it
unpacked like so

  $ tar ztf /path/to/gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz
  usr/local/
  usr/local/._.DS_Store
  usr/local/.DS_Store
  usr/local/bin/
  usr/local/bin/gfortran

I would probably want to remove those files manually.

Then you can install the gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz that is in the ScipySuperpack
 zip file. That should be the one it was built with. Don't worry about the
corresponding gcc. It's unnecessary.

Alternatively, now that you have your compilers already set up, you could build
numpy and scipy yourself. They're not too hard. matplotlib is harder, if you
need that, too, but we'll take this two steps at a time. See the instructions I
gave earlier on the list. The matplotlib part is missing a crucial detail, but
the numpy and scipy bits are complete and accurate.

  http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-January/025368.html

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."