[SciPy-user] scipy installation problems for a newbie

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 16:32:06 CST 2007

Jonathan Kane wrote:
> Thanks for you help so far.  A few more questions before I re-install:
>
> 1)  What happens if I just install the correct gfortran-intel-bin.tar
> over the incorrect one without removing the files manually?  Will that
> mess things up?

Probably.

> 2)  I looked at some of the files listed by the tar ztf
> /path/to/gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz command, and it seems they were
> installed a long time ago:
>
> seismic73$ ls -al /usr/local/include/gmp.h
> -rw-r--r--   1 seismic7  staff  80824 Oct  8 13:15 /usr/local/include/gmp.h
>
> I thought that when it installed the file, the time stamp would be for
> the day of installation (which was Jan. 17).  That makes me afraid to
> erase it because maybe its not the one I just installed.........

Tarballs carry timestamp information. So those timestamps are whatever the
timestamps were for the person who made the tarball when he made it.

> Is it safe to erase every file listed by tar ztf
> /path/to/gfortran-intel-bin.tar.gz???

The files, but not the common directories. For example, if you are also deleting
the gcc that you got from hpc.sf.net (recommended!), you can just delete
/usr/local/lib/gcc/ entirely, but you shouldn't delete /usr/local/lib/.

> 3)  If I want to build Numpy and Scipy using the compilers I have, how
> do I uninstall the current version first?

If you are using Python 2.4, there will be numpy/ and scipy/ directories in the
following directory. Delete them.

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco