[SciPy-user] lowess in scipy?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 21:07:11 CST 2007

Tom Denniston wrote:
> Pierre,
>
> Thanks for you answer.
>
> It's a part of netlib I think.  The legal info from netlib is here:
> http://netlib.bell-labs.com/netlib/research/boilerplate.gz
>
> It seems to come with a BSD-like license from what I can tell.  They
> only ask that you cite them as the source of the code.  I think it
> would be great to get it into scipy.  Am I reading the legal notice
> correctly?

netlib is just a repository; it is not a package that one can be "part of." The
code in netlib has varying licenses. That file does not apply to any piece of
code in fact; it's just a recommended (or perhaps internally required by Bell
Labs at one point) template for authors to fill out.

The clear statement of the copyright for the DLOESS subroutine can be found in
its shar archive:

http://www.netlib.org/a/dloess

/*
 * The authors of this software are Cleveland, Grosse, and Shyu.
 * Copyright (c) 1989, 1992 by AT&T.
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
 * purpose without fee is hereby granted, provided that this entire notice
 * is included in all copies of any software which is or includes a copy
 * or modification of this software and in all copies of the supporting
 * documentation for such software.
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS BEING PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
 * WARRANTY.  IN PARTICULAR, NEITHER THE AUTHORS NOR AT&T MAKE ANY
 * REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MERCHANTABILITY
 * OF THIS SOFTWARE OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 */

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."