[SciPy-user] lowess in scipy?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 18:11:16 CST 2007

On 1/23/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 09:07:11PM -0600, Robert Kern wrote:
> >> /*
> >>  * The authors of this software are Cleveland, Grosse, and Shyu.
> >>  * Copyright (c) 1989, 1992 by AT&T.
> >>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
> >>  * purpose without fee is hereby granted, provided that this entire notice
> >>  * is included in all copies of any software which is or includes a copy
> >>  * or modification of this software and in all copies of the supporting
> >>  * documentation for such software.
> >>  * THIS SOFTWARE IS BEING PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
> >>  * WARRANTY.  IN PARTICULAR, NEITHER THE AUTHORS NOR AT&T MAKE ANY
> >>  * REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE MERCHANTABILITY
> >>  * OF THIS SOFTWARE OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> >>  */
> >
> > Now I am being stupid, but what kind of license is that ?
>
> It's substantially similar to the MIT license.
>
>   http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
>
> It's scipy-compatible, which is all that I care about.

SciPy allows such advertising clauses?  The term "software" is pretty
vague ... does that mean any binaries eventually built using the
source as well as source distributions?  "Included" is pretty vague
too.  Does a string embedded in the data segment of a binary somewhere
count?

If there are other bits of software in SciPy with such advertising
clauses it would be nice to collect all their licenses into the top
level LICENSE.txt or somewhere else easily locatable for people
building applications so that can copy paste into their about box
and/or documentation.

--bb