[SciPy-user] scipy 0.5.2, fortran, distutils on Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X

Erik Sherwood sherwood at cam.cornell.edu
Tue Jan 23 19:33:31 CST 2007

I'm trying to use numpy.distutils to compile fortran sources on a
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo machine, with python 2.4, scipy0.5.2, numpy
1.0.1 (all installed using fink). I have g95, also installed with fink.

fortran is called using a call to numpy.distutils.core.setup

distutils goes into interactive mode, and I get the following error
message/output:

Starting interactive session

Tasks:
   i       - Show python/platform/machine information
   ie      - Show environment information
   c       - Show C compilers information
   c<name> - Set C compiler (current:None)
   f       - Show Fortran compilers information
   f<name> - Set Fortran compiler (current:None)
   e       - Edit proposed sys.argv[1:].

Task aliases:
   0         - Configure
   1         - Build
   2         - Install
   2<prefix> - Install with prefix.
   3         - Inplace build
   4         - Source distribution
   5         - Binary distribution

Proposed sys.argv = ['SLIP_2D_pdc.py']

Choose a task (^D to quit, Enter to continue with setup): f/sw/bin/g95

Tasks:
   i       - Show python/platform/machine information
   ie      - Show environment information
   c       - Show C compilers information
   c<name> - Set C compiler (current:None)
   f       - Show Fortran compilers information
   f<name> - Set Fortran compiler (current:/sw/bin/g95)
   e       - Edit proposed sys.argv[1:].

Task aliases:
   0         - Configure
   1         - Build
   2         - Install
   2<prefix> - Install with prefix.
   3         - Inplace build
   4         - Source distribution
   5         - Binary distribution

Proposed sys.argv = ['SLIP_2D_pdc.py']
Choose a task (^D to quit, Enter to continue with setup):
customize AbsoftFCompiler
customize IbmFCompiler
customize GnuFCompiler
customize Gnu95FCompiler
customize Gnu95FCompiler
customize Gnu95FCompiler using build_clib
building 'radau5' library
compiling Fortran sources
Fortran f77 compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form -fno-
second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops
Fortran f90 compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -fno-second-
underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops
Fortran fix compiler: /usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form -fno-
second-underscore -Wall -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops
compile options: '-c'
gfortran:f77: /Users/sherwood/Apps/PyDSTool/PyDSTool/trunk/PyDSTool/
integrator/radau5.f
gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory
gfortran: error trying to exec 'f951': execvp: No such file or directory

Error occurred in generating Radau system...
exceptions.SystemExit error: Command "/usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -
ffixed-form -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -c -c /
Users/sherwood/Apps/PyDSTool/PyDSTool/trunk/PyDSTool/integrator/
radau5.f -o /Users/sherwood/Apps/PyDSTool/PyDSTool/trunk/PyDSTool/
tests/radau5_temp/Users/sherwood/Apps/PyDSTool/PyDSTool/trunk/
PyDSTool/integrator/radau5.o" failed with exit status 1

Any ideas how to avoid this error?

It's not clear to me why gfortran is being used instead of g95. If I
get a list of fortran compilers in interactive mode, I get

List of available Fortran compilers:
   --fcompiler=g95    G95 Fortran Compiler (0.90)
   --fcompiler=gnu95  GNU 95 Fortran Compiler (4.2.0)

What do I need to do to use g95 instead of gfortran?

Also, I had posted before about the problem of being taken to
interactive mode when calling distutils.core.setup on Mac OS X. I
believe there was a patch for 0.5.1, but apparently it wasn't
included in 0.5.2. What needs to be changed to avoid interactive
mode? (Or which subversion revision had the patch?)

Thanks,

Erik