[SciPy-user] scipy data mining ?

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer ivilata at carabos.com
Wed Jan 24 02:23:40 CST 2007

Karl Young (el 2007-01-22 a les 14:16:56 -0800) va dir::

> I'm currently using a nice Java based data mining package called Weka
> (essentially as a black box as I don't have time to learn Java)  but was
> looking for something more python/scipy friendly to switch to as I'd
> prefer more interactive use. I found a python package on the web that
> potentially looks pretty nice (Orange - http://www.ailab.si/orange) but
> given that it uses GPL (and also given the recent discussion on license
> issues) and doesn't look to have made any effort to be numpy/scipy
> friendly I was wondering if anyone was aware of a more scipy friendly
> effort. Should someone (maybe even me...) be talked into contacting the
> Orange developers and seeing if they'd be interested in a switch to BSD
> and a gradual evolution towards integration with numpy... ?

You may also give a try to PyTables_, which is already being used by
some people to perform data mining.  It is not similar to Orange or Weka
in the sense that PyTables is a lower-level, non-GUI Python library.
However, it uses NumPy at its core, so integration with SciPy should be
no problem, and it is designed to be comfortable in interactive usage
(on a Python console).  The standard version is free/libre software
under a BSD license.

On the GUI part, you could use ViTables_ for textual browsing of big
files, or HDFView_ if you need plotting or image visualisation
capabilities.

.. _PyTables: http://www.pytables.org/
.. _ViTables: http://www.carabos.com/products/vitables
.. _HDFView: http://www.hdfgroup.org/hdf-java-html/hdfview/