[SciPy-user] What it the best way to install on a Mac?

Markus Rosenstihl markusro at element.fkp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jan 31 06:32:17 CST 2007

Am 31.01.2007 um 01:16 schrieb Jerry:

> I've been mostly lurking here for quite a while and am thinking I
> should get some stuff installed and see what all the excitement is
> about. I can't help but notice that some of the posts are about
> installation problems on various platforms. I also recall (I think)
> that someone was keeping an up-to-date installer for the Mac. If so,
> is this a "proper" Mac installer? Or can I install from Fink or
> another package-manager-type place? I recall some discussion about
> PyLab (?) or the like which included all the SciPy stuff and plotters
> and that sounds like the way to go. I'm mainly hoping for a low-
> hassle installation so that I can get to the good stuff fast.

Hi,
I can second Roberts advise.

I installed python, numpy, matplotlib and scipy via source.
Matplotlib was not that easy to install (but not difficult either), but
there are instructions to be found on the net.

You didn't say which Mac OS X you are using, in case you are on Panther
10.3.9, you should consider installing
the 10.4 SDK. (there is a libstc.dylib ???? only available on Tiger,
and you can get linking problems while instsalling).

Regards
Markus