[SciPy-user] What it the best way to install on a Mac?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 12:28:26 CST 2007

joris at ster.kuleuven.ac.be wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 01:27, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Learn to build from source. Because of the dependency on FORTRAN runtime
>> libraries, this is the lowest-hassle method.
>
> This may be true at the moment, but I hope this will not be the general
> philosophy for the future?

It's not a philosophy; it's a technical problem. If you can solve the technical
problem, building from source will no longer be the lowest-hassle method.

> Having to build from source may scare off potential
> numpy/scipy/matplotlib users... Yesterday someone said that he was trying to
> install scipy from source for about 2 weeks now.

I mean no disrespect to all the parties involved, but the common problem that I
see between all of the people who take such a long time to build scipy is that
they tend to thrash around, trying everything, without understanding what
they're doing. Going back and forth on a mailing list trying to diagnose a
problem naturally takes a long time. It's such a grossly inefficient way to
troubleshoot.

But when there's a problem with the binary package, the same exact thing
happens. There is no substitute for learning.

> It's not that I demand other people to make easy-to-install packages, but I
> think that we're heading in the wrong direction if we don't even think that
> easy-to-install packages are really necessary and that installing from source
> works just fine.

We're not. Solve the technical problem, and the whole issue will go away.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco