[SciPy-user] problems with scipy in gentoo

Bill Dandreta wjdandreta@att....
Sun Jul 1 08:22:51 CDT 2007

Angel Yanguas-Gil wrote:
> the scipy package in gentoo is currently masked and cannot be
> installed. The problem is not in scipy but in one of the dependencies
> which, at least in my case, is blas. Does anybody know if it is
> possible to install scipy with an alternative library?

Below are notes I wrote to myself to get scipy and matplotlib to install
on gentoo:

Put these lines in /etc/portage/package.keywords

app-admin/eselect-blas ~amd64
app-admin/eselect-lapack ~amd64
dev-python/matplotlib ~amd64
dev-python/numpy ~amd64
dev-python/python-dateutil ~amd64
dev-python/pytz ~amd64
sci-libs/scipy amd64
---

emerge -av blas-reference eselect eselect-blas virtual/blas

#scipy requires lapack and numpy, matplotlib requires numpy.
#numpy does not require lapack but can use it.
#lapack-reference requires a fortran 77 compiler.
#gcc-4.X has gfortran, a fortran 95 compiler.
#Need to use gcc-3.x

emerge -av =sys-devel/gcc-3*

#switch compilers:
gcc-config -l
gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6
source /etc/profile

emerge -av virtual/lapack lapack-reference eselect-lapack

#switch compilers back:
gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2
source /etc/profile

emerge -av numpy matplotlib scipy

I have not gotten eselect-blas or eselect-lapack to work yet (maybe
that's why they are masked <g>) but with blas-reference virtual/blas
lapack-reference and virtual/lapack installed, portage is smart enough
to use them when installing scipy. I've used blas-atlas and lapack-atlas
in the past but since they take so long to compile and I don't do much
linear algebra, the reference ones are OK for me.

Bill
--

Bill

wjdandreta@att.net

Gentoo Linux 2.6.20-gentoo-r8

Reclaim Your Inbox with http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

All things cometh to he who waiteth as long as he who waiteth worketh like hell while he waiteth.