[SciPy-user] sparse stuff in numpy/scipy

Andrew Straw strawman@astraw....
Sun Jul 1 15:59:57 CDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:

> Python gurus -- Is there some way that scipy can avoid hiding on-demand
> packages like that?

My recollection is that Pearu(?) had implemented a module auto-loader
that essentially did what you're suggesting. It was ripped out in the
name of simplification, which IMO is a good thing -- it was non-trivial
code, and it had non-obvious effects. For example, I seem to remember
tab completion in IPython failing in the 1st attempt then working the
2nd attempt.

So, if scipy sub-packages aren't in the scipy docstring, I think that
should be fixed. But having a transparent auto-loader is probably
something best left behind.

(Many of the same arguments for and against ones taking shape without
parentheses could be made for this case, too.)

-Andrew