[SciPy-user] Deleting sandbox.pysparse

Daniel Wheeler daniel.wheeler@nist....
Mon Jul 2 09:27:27 CDT 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Dominique Orban wrote:

> Ed Schofield wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> The pysparse snapshot in the sandbox is old and unmaintained, and I'd
>> like to remove it from the SVN tree. Is anyone using it?
>
> There were some messages on this list today from people using
> Pysparse. Perhaps
> the maintainer of Pysparse (Daniel Wheeler I believe) should be
> contacted to see
> if he would agree to maintain Pysparse as part of SciPy. I think it
> would be a
> great feature.

As far as my project is concerned, I would prefer that pysparse
remains at sourceforge for the time being.
Our python code (fipy) relies heavily on pysparse and I believe that
it is easier for users to install
pysparse as a small package rather than making scipy a requirement.

Having said that, I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to move
pysparse into the scipy repository and still
build separate snapshots of pysparse and upload then to sourceforge
for users who only want pysparse.

However, I believe that having two incompatible sparse matrix and
linalg modules within scipy just causes confusion.
Ripping pysparse code may be useful to help improve scipy's solver
and linalg modules, but merely maintaining it
in the sandbox separate from the scipy solvers (as it has been) just
adds to the confusion.

Cheers

--
Daniel Wheeler