[SciPy-user] scipy code contribution question

Ryan Krauss ryanlists@gmail....
Thu Jul 5 07:36:28 CDT 2007

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on derivative work, but it
seems like you aren't creating a derivative work if Mathworks never
showed you the source code - which I assume they didn't.

It seems like an overly literal interpretation of the license snippet
that Bill posted would say that if I ever used Matlab, then I can
never write code that does the same things as Matlab or any of its
toolboxes.  If that is legally defended, then I can't contribute
anything to scipy.

I appreciate that we want to be careful, but it doesn't make sense
that we could get in trouble by creating functions with the same names
as Matlab functions if we've never seen their source code.  I mean,
can they copyright plot(x,y)?  If so, than matplotlib is in trouble
(unless John had never used Matlab when he came up with that syntax).
What about fft(x)?

The link that Bill posted with the GPL code poses as big a problem in
my mind.  If any of us looks at that code, then any similar algorithm
would need to be GPL'ed as a derivative work.  So, don't open that
link :)

FWIW,

Ryan