[SciPy-user] (Mac) Close a plot window, crash IPython?

Thu Jul 12 23:30:09 CDT 2007

David Warde-Farley wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've recently acquired myself a shiny new Mac and have vowed not to
> install Matlab on it, so I've been investigating going to SciPy
> entirely for my scientific computing needs. I installed MacPython 2.5
> and the SciPy Superpack listed on the SciPy website.
>
> My problem is this: if I start IPython with ipython -pylab, and say,
>
> plot(arange(0,9),arange(0,9)**2)
>
> then close the plot window, and repeat the same command, IPython
> crashes completely. Is this normal behaviour?
A crash is never a normal behaviour :)
>  The obvious solution is
> "don't close plot windows" but that seems rather unsatisfactory.

Indeed. The first thing would be to check whether the problem is
matplotlib, ipython or scipy: If you repeat arange with the same
arguments as given to the plot command, do you have any crash ? If you
plot several times the same figure but in a script run by python instead
of ipython, does it crash to ?

David