[SciPy-user] (Mac) Close a plot window, crash IPython?

David Warde-Farley david.warde.farley@utoronto...
Fri Jul 13 13:51:41 CDT 2007

On 13-Jul-07, at 1:29 AM, Fernando Perez wrote:

> On 7/12/07, David Warde-Farley <david.warde.farley@utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> On 13-Jul-07, at 12:30 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
>>
>>> A crash is never a normal behaviour :)
>>
>> Eh, by normal I mean "documented" I guess :)
>
> No, not really.  We'll need a bit more info to try and figure out
> what's going on:
>
> 1. Versions of IPython, Python and Matplotlib you're running.  I'm not
> an OSX user, so I'm not exactly sure what the 'superpack' ships.

IPython 0.8.2 svnr2445, Python 2.5.1(r251:54869),
matplotlib.__version__ = 0.90.1

> 2. What mpl backend are you running?  And what's the version of the
> underlying toolkit for python (tk, wx, pygtk, qt...)?

This was with TkAgg. My Tkinter module says it's version is Rev. 50704.

> This should most certainly NOT be happening.

So, I installed wxPython 2.6 from http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-
fat/index.html and tried my luck with "backend : WXAgg" in
~/.matplotlib/.matplotlibrc , and this behaviour does not occur
(there is another small bug but it's far less annoying). So I'm
guessing it's specific to the TK-based backends. The question is,
does it happen on other platforms, or is it something to do with the
Mac (or MacPython) bindings to Tk, or is it some unexpected condition
that matplotlib isn't handling correctly. I think we can at least
rule out IPython being at fault.

With the WXAgg backend, issuing a Cmd+Q (quit) command while a plot
window is active will not only not close it but cause all further
plot-related commands to lock up the interpreter. However, you can
close plot windows and replot using the same figure # just fine using
WXAgg, while it would crash you in TkAgg.

I should probably also note that I'm using the Intel version of the
Superpack; the same issue might affect the PowerPC version, or it
might not.

David