[SciPy-user] [OT] advice about publishing a scientific software

massimo sandal massimo.sandal@unibo...
Mon Jul 16 08:04:15 CDT 2007

Hi,

I am currently developing a (Python-and-Scipy based, of course!) data
analysis software (more precisely, a single molecule force spectroscopy
data analysis sw). It has been thought to be not the usual
quick-and-dirty in house script, but to be an actual application that
can be used in general by different labs. In fact, it actually features
an easy and working (even if slightly unpolished) plugin API, and most
functionality is implemented by mean of independent plugin.

Now, I would like to release it as free software (probably LGPL, but
still thinking about it) online, however there are two concerns blocking me:

- Major one: I would like to publish a peer-reviewed paper about this
software. If I want this, do I need *first* to write the paper, get it
accepted, *then* to publish the software online? Or, given that
functionality is plugin-driven, can I publish the software backbone and
later publish a paper that presents the software and some (new, to
release) nifty plugin that does some clever kind of data analysis? Or
what? What are the usual requirements of journals about this?

- Minor one: Where to publish it? I am used to think about SourceForge
as THE place for publishing open source software, however a number of
people told me about Google Code. Basically what I want, if possible, is
no-nonsense SVN access and some integrated mailing list/forum. Google
Code seems good at that -it also gives automatically Wiki space, which
is a major plus for me. What do you think about? Drawbacks? Licence
issues (i.e. something like "since you publish it on Google Code the
code is also owned by Google" tiny-letters clause?) Is there some other
alternative?

Moreover, I'd like to know your opinions about the degree of
"polishness" and other requirements for initial publication of a
scientific software. As for documentation, I am working on actual, user
manual and hacking (mainly but not only focused on plugin writing)
manual with tutorials etc.. The sw still lacks an installer but
"installation" is braindead (provided that you have all the correct
dependencies): put all the files in the same directory and run "python
software.py" from where: do you think an installer is absolutely
necessary or it is OK to let it go this way, and add the installer later?

Thanks a lot,
Massimo

--
Massimo Sandal