[SciPy-user] [OT] advice about publishing a scientific software

massimo sandal massimo.sandal@unibo...
Mon Jul 16 08:13:39 CDT 2007

Gael Varoquaux ha scritto:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 03:04:15PM +0200, massimo sandal wrote:
>> The sw still lacks an installer but
>> "installation" is braindead (provided that you have all the correct
>> dependencies): put all the files in the same directory and run "python
>> software.py" from where: do you think an installer is absolutely
>> necessary or it is OK to let it go this way, and add the installer later?
>
> My 2 cents:
>
> Use eggs for distribution. It just makes life so much easier for
> everbody, its standard in the Python world, and it deals with
> dependancies.

I haven't heard nothing but harsh criticism around "eggs", but I must
admit I have never used them. Most Python software I've seen is
distributed via the usual setup.py / *nix packages / Windows installers.
All three are easy and standard.

What are the advantages of eggs? Where can I find info about them? Can a
software redistributed with eggs play well (i.e. be repackaged) with
Linux packaging or Windows installers?

m.

--
Massimo Sandal