[SciPy-user] fitting mixed gaussians

Stefan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Wed Jul 25 12:43:06 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 06:08:34PM +0200, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 05:58:50PM +0200, Emanuele Zattin wrote:
> > The gaussian I am interested is indeed at the center of the images,
> > but very often more maxima are present at the boundaries so i try to
> > fit more gaussians. I am aware of the cookbook page... it's really
> > interesting and it helped me a lot in the first steps. On the other
> > side a momentum approach is not as easy when more gaussians are
> > present.
>
> Neither is the fitting.

Sorry, I misunderstood your application.  You don't want to use the
images as features, but want to identify features *in* the image.
Since your model is fitting so badly, you may want to consider another
model/method.

Since the images are only 5x5, you can use routines available in scipy
to do a bi-polynomial or higher order surface fit.  The maximum
turning point of the polynomial then indicates your feature centre.

Regards
Stéfan