[SciPy-user] Numpy/Scipy on AIX

Sun Jul 29 04:49:32 CDT 2007

Marek Wojciechowski wrote:
>>> I'm using svn version of scipy. As far as i observed scipy 0.5.2 is not
>>> compatibile with numpy-svn. Below i'm pasting what setup.py produces. I
>>> seems things are compiled and there is only linking problem with lapack.
>>> Thanks for help.
>>>
>> Where are your blas and lapack coming from ? Did you compile them by
>> yourself ? How ? (compiler, version, etc...)
>>

> I'm using IBM(R) XL Fortran Enterprise Edition V9.1 and IBM(R) XL C
> Enterprise Edition V7.0. Maybe there is some incompatibility between
> compilers for Fortran and C? That's what is installed on the machine i'm
> working on. I have to compile lapack by myself (actually scipy installer
> can do that),
scipy cannot compile lapack by itself. I don't know the exact process in
this case, but scipy has a "lite" lapack as a fall back; I am not 100 %
sure, though.

There is a pretty good chance that the LAPACK you compiled has something
wrong: LAPACK is difficult to compile correctly when you want to use it
in a non Fortran environment; at least it is on Linux. Did you test LAPACK ?

LAPACK 3.1.1 causes problems with scipy at the moment, too, so I
recommend you to compile the version 3.0 (beware though, you should NOT
use the BLAS from LAPACK 3.0, because it is buggy). If I were you, I
would do this first: compile LAPACK 3.0 with the AIX BLAS, and compile
the testers and run them (doing a make lapack_testing should be enough).

If this works, then the problem is either in the calling convention
(python calls fortran code "through C", so you need to be sure that C
and Fortran convention are the same; I would guess that AIX being
proprietary and used for HPC, IBM tries to have compatible convention by
default), or in scipy. If this is the case, we can focus on this point.

Cheers,

David