[SciPy-user] Problems installing scipy

Alexander Dietz Alexander.Dietz@astro.cf.ac...
Mon Jul 30 15:01:35 CDT 2007

Hi,

I am trying to install scipy on my laptop, running FC5. I have installed
numpy, so I downloaded the scipy-package and run the setup script which
creates a warning only:

> python setup.py install
usr/lib/python2.4/distutils/dist.py:236: UserWarning: Unknown distribution
option: 'configuration'
  warnings.warn(msg)
running install
running build
running config_fc

When testing the installation within (i)python I get:

In [1]: import scipy
exceptions.ImportError                               Traceback (most recent
call last)

/opt/users/src/scipy-0.5.2/<ipython console>

ImportError: No module named scipy

I tried also to scipy to install in the directory
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages where numpy is installed (at least that's
what numpy.__path__ is saying) with
 python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages

but this also did not install scipy so I can use it. Can someone help me?
What's going wrong? In which directory is scipy installed if no path is
defined?

Thanks
  Alex