[SciPy-user] How to generate random positive definite matrix

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith@noaa....
Mon Jun 11 03:29:00 CDT 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>>     I need to generate random positive definite matrix, mainly for
>> testing purpose. Before, I was generating them using a random matrix A
>> given by randn, and computing A'A. Unfortunately, if A is singular, so
>> is A'A. Is there a better way to do than testing whether A is singular ?
>> They do not need to follow a specific distribution (but I would like to
>> avoid them to follow a really special "pattern").
>>

> I would generate N random direction vectors (draw from a multivariate normal
> distribution with eye(N) as the covariance matrix and normalize the samples to
> be unit vectors).
Hi, David.  You say they don't need to follow a specific dist., but you
also say you were using randn, which is perhaps why Robert suggests
normally distributed random directions, but if you truly don't care,
might I suggest simply N uniformly distributed reals, t, between 0 and
2pi, the direction vectors then being simply (cos(t), sin(t)).

DG

--
ERD/ORR/NOS/NOAA <http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/emergencyresponse/>