[SciPy-user] Problems installing scipy in SuSE 10.2

Tue Jun 12 21:00:34 CDT 2007

rex wrote:
> Karl Edler <kte608@mail.usask.ca> [2007-06-11 10:58]:
>
>> ...and installed all the rpms in
>> http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/ashigabou/openSUSE_10.2/
>> but then I could not install python-scipy because Ashigabou has no
>> python-scipy package and the python-scipy package in
>> http://repos.opensuse.org/science/   does not like the refblas found in
>> the Ashigabou repository. Apart from compiling my own blas, lapack, and
>> scipy I am at a loss as to what to do.
>
> Hello Karl,
>
> Since none of the experts have responded, I will. I suggest compiling
> blas, lapack, numpy and scipy. Have a look at:
>
> http://pong.tamu.edu/tiki/tiki-view_blog_post.php?blogId=6&postId=97
Please note that the instructions are not up-to-date anymore, specially
concerning atlas. One of the problem is that now, many distributions
(debian and ubuntu being exceptions here) use gfortran as the default
fortran compiler instead of g77, and without extra carefulness, you
cannot mix libraries compiled by one compiler with another. Also, the
g77 (compat-g77 something on opensuse if I remember correctly) has been
broken for a long time.

On opensuse (at least 10.2), I would say use gfortran everywhere instead
of g77, because the latter is being deprecated on this platform.

David