[SciPy-user] Problems installing scipy in SuSE 10.2

Christian K ckkart@hoc....
Wed Jun 13 19:41:15 CDT 2007

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Nils Wagner wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I use g77 on opensuse 10.2 without any problem.
>> I have deinstalled gcc-fortran before the installation of LAPACK/ATLAS,
>> numpy/scipy.
> You definitely can do it, but as this is not the default compiler, you
> may have problems with other packages. As long as you compile everything
> by yourself, this is fine, but if you need something compiled by the
> default fortran compiler, this is tricky.
>
> If you remove g77, you are already sure that everything is compiled by
> g77 and not gfortran, which is helpful, indeed.
>> compat-g77 works fine for me. The problem was fixed some month ago.
>> IIRC Robert K. didn't recommend the usage of gfortran. Is it still valid ?
> I don't know the context where R. Kern told that, and he knows better
> than me for sure, but I think this depends on the distribution you're

gfortran 4.0.xxx had some real problems, see this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/6889
starting from 4.1 I did not encounter any problems. However I remember having
read somewhere, that it is not recommended to build atlas with gfortran.

> using; I compiled everything with gfortran for suse and fedora on
> ashigabou, because that's the default compiler. On debian based
> (including Ubuntu), definitely, g77 is the best choice, specially since

Isn't gfortran the default on edgy and feisty gfortran? At least that is the one
that is installed on my system.

Christian