[SciPy-user] Problems installing scipy in SuSE 10.2

Wed Jun 13 21:20:55 CDT 2007

Christian K wrote:

> gfortran 4.0.xxx had some real problems, see this thread:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/6889
> starting from 4.1 I did not encounter any problems. However I remember having
> read somewhere, that it is not recommended to build atlas with gfortran.
Disclaimer: I am not a fortran developer, I know nothing about fortran,
only about packaging software compiled with fortran compiler and related
problems.

For atlas, it is hardly a problem I think, because atlas is a C library.
There is an option to compiler a fortran wrapper, but that's it. The
problem is more with blas and lapack (which tests are failing with
gfortran but not with g77. Note that for Lapack, a number of tests fail
with both compilers).

> Isn't gfortran the default on edgy and feisty gfortran? At least that is the one
> that is installed on my system.
By default, I meant from an ABI point of view: see for example the
following link: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2007-01/msg00611.html.
Calling convention default are different in g77 and gfortran, and as
such, if you don't use the default ABI, you become incompatible with
everything else.

David