[SciPy-user] Problems installing scipy in SuSE 10.2

Christian K ckkart@hoc....
Wed Jun 13 22:19:20 CDT 2007

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Christian K wrote:
>> gfortran 4.0.xxx had some real problems, see this thread:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/6889
>> starting from 4.1 I did not encounter any problems. However I remember having
>> read somewhere, that it is not recommended to build atlas with gfortran.
> Disclaimer: I am not a fortran developer, I know nothing about fortran,
> only about packaging software compiled with fortran compiler and related
> problems.
>
> For atlas, it is hardly a problem I think, because atlas is a C library.

Ture, then I think it was that it was recomended to use gcc3 instead of 4 :) Me
neither have ever written a single line of fortran, but sometimes I wrap some
fortran code with f2py.
I used SuSE for many years but once I tried ubuntu I realised that all libs and
packages I was fighting with to get them compiled (like many other SuSE users
apparently) are part of the distribution and just work. Keep that in mind the
next time you plan to upgrade your system...

Christian