[SciPy-user] Debugging memory exhaustion in Python?

Greg Novak novak@ucolick....
Fri Jun 15 14:48:17 CDT 2007

Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you using a specific IDE ?

Plain old IPython, but it happens when I run it in a bare python
interpreter as well.

On 6/15/07, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1)  What version of python are you using?  Python 2.4 and below has
> some issues with memory not  being released back to the OS.

2.5

> 2)  What data structures are you using to represent the data?

Lots of arrays...  It's mostly particle data, although I do flagrantly
generate lots of temporaries.  I'm not careful at all about that.  I
thought this could have speed implications, but I didn't realize it
could have memory exhaustion implications, too.  Since I'm only
handling 10's of MB at a time, I also thought that memory
fragmentation wouldn't be a severe problem.  If I had GB arrays and
started generating lots of temporary copies, I could see that that
would lead to trouble...

I found a program called heapy that's supposed to help with this.
Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Greg