[SciPy-user] Problems compiling scipy on SuSE 10.2

Sat Jun 16 23:21:50 CDT 2007

rex wrote:
> David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> [2007-06-16 07:15]:
>> After, do as before. Note that you still does not use atlas as shared
>> library, but this should make things work anyway for scipy. According to
>> rex, using my script garnumpy made life easier for openSUSE:
>>
>> http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/garnumpy-0.2.1.tbz2
>>
>> This will download, configure and build a self contained scipy and all
>> its dependencies (netlib blas/lapack by default, but you can use atlas
>> instead by uncommenting the necessary lines in the gar.conf.mk file, as
>> mentionned in the README).
>
> The url is:
>
> http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/garnumpy/garnumpy-0.2.1.tbz2
>
> As a test of the default settings, I created a newuser, downloaded the
> above file into newuser/, and:
>
> tar -xjvf garnumpy-0.2.1.tbz2
> cd garnumpy-0.2.1
> cd platform/scipy
> make install
>
> It completed the build & lengthy test process w/o errors. I was very
> pleasantly surprised that the default settings resulted in a successful
> build. What a change from the painful manual process! David, thank you
> very much for this contribution to the community. It promises to be a
> very useful tool, especially for new users.
>
> One small change needs to be made if you run Python2.5.
>
> In startgarnumpy.sh, the line
>
> PYTHONPATH=$GARNUMPYDIR/lib/python2.4/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH
>
> needs to be changed to
>
> PYTHONPATH=$GARNUMPYDIR/lib/python2.5/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH
>
> Then
>
> source startgarnumpy.sh
>
> The system is a Core 2 Duo running 32-bit openSUSE 10.2 &
> Python2.5. Next, I plan to experiment changing the defaults to match the
> hardware better.
The above version does not work on 64 bits arch, unfortunately. The
changes to make it work on 64 bits (tested on ubuntu 64) are available here:

http://www.ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp/members/david/archives/garnumpy/garnumpy-0.3.tbz2

David