[SciPy-user] matrix mult operator

David Warde-Farley david.warde.farley@utoronto...
Mon Jun 25 14:04:43 CDT 2007

On 25-Jun-07, at 2:25 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> Because there isn't enough support for such a construct when we
> already have
> if/elif and other ways of dispatching code. Guido asked the
> community and PyCon
> 2007, and there really wasn't much of a favorable response.
>
>   http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3103/

 From what I've read it was a quick, informal poll during a talk,
which is a painfully poor basis for making design decisions. But as
usual we are at the mercy of Guido and his fanboys and their
arbitrary notions of what's "Pythonic" or not. There are good reasons
not to allow the definition of arbitrary infix operators, but the
absence of a proper switch statement in a modern language is fairly
silly, IMHO.

This post has some interesting and marginally useful alternatives (if
you don't need fall-through behaviour):

	http://simonwillison.net/2004/May/7/switch/

David