[SciPy-user] matrix mult operator

David Warde-Farley david.warde.farley@utoronto...
Mon Jun 25 14:39:29 CDT 2007

On 25-Jun-07, at 3:18 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> Of course, all of this happened after a long, drawn-out series of
> discussions
> and designs, which is *also* a painfully poor basis for making
> design decisions
> if it's the only basis. Why? Because every participant is self-
> selected.

My point was that the members of an audience at a Guido talk at a
Python conference are even *more* self-selected, since not everyone
with a vested interest in using the language can afford the time off
work/travel time/etc. to attend such gatherings, nor do they
necessarily see the point when there are mailing lists set up for
just this sort of discussion.

>> But as
>> usual we are at the mercy of Guido and his fanboys and their
>> arbitrary notions of what's "Pythonic" or not.
>
> You are entirely mistaken if you think PyCon is solely attended by
> Guido's
> fanboys. Really, getting several hundred Python users across a
> broad spectrum in
> the same room and asking them questions is actually probably one of
> the better
> ways to keep perspective and determine how much of an impact your
> design
> decisions are going to have.

It was more of a general statement about the frustrating non-
arguments made by some in the name of "Pythonicity". But I'm glad to
hear that the attendance at PyCon is diverse.

Don't get me wrong, I like Python, I like SciPy. I just find myself
occasionally at odds with the decision making processes up the chain.

David